To All the Writers, 16 October 2015
- A useful key to the can of worms: This piece by Maria Bustillos is full
of up-to-date information on digitalization/Google Book
Settlement/orphan books/copyright issues. I’m happy to have contributed
a couple of opinions to it. — UKL
One Google Books to Rule Them All? by Maria Bustillos, 26 October 2011
- Unfacts Concerning the Google (Un)Settlement, Part 2, a blog by UKL. 5 April 2011
- Unfacts Concerning the Google (Un)Settlement, a blog by UKL, 28 March 2011
- Judge Denny Chin’s Opinion: “The
question presented is whether the ASA is fair, adequate, and
reasonable. I conclude that it is not.”
- NATIONAL WRITERS UNION CALLS FOR RENEWED ACTION TO PROTECT WRITERS’ RIGHTS FOLLOWING REJECTION OF GOOGLE BOOK SETTLEMENT, March 23, 2011
- New York judge rules against Google books settlement, by Benedicte Page, guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 23 March 2011
- Judge Rejects Google’s Deal to Digitize Books,
by Miguel Helft, New York Times, March 22, 2011
Information about the Google Settlement
Including Offsite Links
- Update on Google Books Settlement:
“Google Books case still a run-on sentence,”
by Tom Krazit, CNET news, 21 June 2010.
- Book View Cafe Blog: The Discussion Continues
- List of blog posts and comments.
- “5 Ways The Google Book Settlement Will Change The Future of Reading” at IO9
- “Will The Google Settlement Leave Ursula Le Guin Dispossessed?” at IO9.
24 February 2010
- “Thousands of authors opt out of Google book settlement,” The Guardian, 23 February 2010.
- “Why the Technology Sector Should Care About Google Books,” by Gary Reback. TechCrunch, Feb 16, 2010.
- Department of Justice: Despite Substantial Progress Made,
- What’s Wrong with
the Google Settlement — a Letter from a Writer, by Paulina Borsook.
- Publishers Weekly: If the Google Settlement fails, what’s next?
by Andrew Richard Albanese 2/1/2010 (UKL interviewed)
- AFP: Le Guin to submit petition opposing Google book settlement
- Media Bistro reports on UKL Petition Letter.
- Updates, comments, and more info on the Google Settlement and UKL’s Authors Guild resignation letter: The Guardian; PR Newswire.
- Ursula Le Guin Leads Author Revolt Against Google Books, Launches Petition, The Guardian, 22 Jan 2010.
- Canadian Writers Oppose Google:
Globe and Mail;
Sarah Sheard’s blog;
Other objections by Canadian authors
- Ursula Le Guin gathers writers against Google deal, CBC News, 23 January 2010
- Google Book Settlement Workshop, New York City, 20 January 2010.
- Ursula Le Guin Leads Author Revolt Against Google Books, Launches Petition, The Huffington Post, 22 Jan 2010.
- Open Book Alliance. “The mass digitization of books promises to bring tremendous value to consumers, libraries, scholars, and students. The Open Book Alliance will work to advance and protect this promise....”
- Google Book Search Settlement and Reader Privacy
- Brief on behalf of NWU, SFWA, and ASJA [200 KB PDF]
- Brief with exhibits, including the petition from
Ursula K. Le Guin and
other individual authors
[4.3 MB PDF]
- Open Book Alliance:
Report on the NWU forums
- West Coast Meeting on Google Settlement
NWU’s West Coast informational event for authors
about the revised Google Books settlement proposal.
Friday, Jan. 22, 2010